Friday, June 09, 2006

REMEMBERING IN CAPERNAUM

Jesus left Nazareth and went and lived in Capernaum, a small town situated on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee. (Matthew 4:13) When He would return there the people of the town felt that He had come home. (Mark 2:1) Simon Peter lived there, as did James and John. Levi was a tax collector there. Interestingly, on one occasion Jesus paid taxes in Capernaum. (Matthew 17:24)

There are several stories in the Gospels about Jesus teaching in the synagogue and healing people there – Simon Peter’s mother-in-law was one of them. (Matthew 8:14-15) No one in Capernaum had ever heard anyone teach in their synagogue the way Jesus taught. He taught as one with authority and with urgency, not as the rabbis they were used to hearing teach there.

As Jesus’ adopted home, Capernaum became a hub of His travels and ministry. On one occasion, as they sailed away from Capernaum across the Sea of Galilee, Jesus and His disciples were caught in a sudden storm at sea. The disciples witnessed Jesus rebuking the wind and waves and saw them become calm. (Matthew 8:23-27) On another occasion they were in a boat headed toward Capernaum when the disciples witnessed Jesus walking on water. (John 6:16-21) And, after His Resurrection, when Jesus met His disciples for breakfast on the beach by the Sea of Galilee, it was no doubt right there at Capernaum. (John 21)

It was a beautiful day in February as our tour bus pulled into the parking area and we walked the few remaining yards into the little town of Capernaum on the banks of the Sea of Galilee. There are only the ruins of a former era, left behind by time, to see; but what a lovely setting for a town. The ruins of the synagogue where Jesus taught are there; as are the ruins of the home of Simon Peter.

As I stood in silence drinking in the scenes of this place Jesus called home, I felt the peace of His presence as I remembered the events of His life that had taken place here. In my mind’s eye I could see Him teaching in that ancient synagogue. I could hear the urgency and authority in His voice as He said things they had never heard from a rabbi before.
“I am the bread of life.
Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”(John 6:48-51)

Many other things Jesus taught them as He preached, “Repent, the Kingdom of Heaven is near.” (Matthew 4:17) Then I remembered the shrill, tormented voice of “the man possessed by an evil spirit” crying out, “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!” followed by Jesus’ stern demand, “Be quiet! Come out of him!” (Mark 1:23-26) I also remembered how Jesus healed a lot more people in Capernaum, His adopted home, than He did in Nazareth, His home town. In fact Nazareth resented it. (Luke 4:23)

Another scene I remembered was the wall-to-wall crowd in Jesus house as He filled their hungering hearts with the Good News of the manna from heaven; as He announced the arrival of the Kingdom of God in their midst and in their times. (Mark 2:1-5) As I listened I suddenly heard Jesus speak the sweetest words my sin sick soul has ever heard, “Son, Your sins are forgiven.” Those words spoken to a paralytic who had been lowered through the roof by his friends, set him free. Those awesome words from the mouth of the Son of God echo through time to every member of Adam’s race. One day I heard His words spoken to me. And on that day, standing in Capernaum, I remembered His words again and rejoiced that I too had been set free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home