Saturday, September 16, 2006

DISCIPLES FOLLOW JESUS

Jesus’ arrival on the banks of the Jordan was not a chance happening. God does not leave things to chance, as some suppose. When the time had fully come, at the precise and optimum moment, God sent His Son, Jesus, who appeared at the very spot where God had strategically placed His mouthpiece, John the Baptist. John was God-sent and in place to recognize, introduce and bear witness to Jesus. John’s placement was part of God’s perfect plan “so that through Him all men might believe.” (John 1:6-7)

By God’s design there also were two young men who “just happened to be there” that day in search of the Messiah. Until they met Jesus they were following John thinking it might possibly be him. Others were also there for the same reason. (John 1:19-20) The stage was set, expectations were high, but no one suspected the cosmic drama that was taking place. Jesus would later ask, “What did you go out into the desert to see?” (Matthew 11:7) Whatever they thought they had gone out there to see, what they saw was a messenger sent of God to point them to the true Messiah, Jesus. He was standing among them and they didn’t know Him.

Jesus had come out to the Jordan because He was ready to begin the ministry His Father had sent Him to do. When He arrived on the banks of the Jordan that day He was unknown both to John and to the crowd that was there. (John 1:26 & 31) God had prepared John and given him a sign to watch for so when Jesus arrived he could recognize Him. So when Jesus arrived and John looked up and saw Him, and saw the Holy Spirit descending upon Him as a dove and staying, he knew instantly who He was. He did what he was sent to do, he shouted, “Behold the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.”

With that shout of John the Baptist on the banks of the Jordan River the curtain rose on the Kingdom of God and the one the crowd saw standing there, center stage, was Jesus. The Kingdom of God had drawn near in the person of God’s only Son, Jesus. The Bridegroom had been announced. The wedding and banquet were being prepared. Who would go in to the feast?

The next day when Jesus walked by, John announced again, “Behold the Lamb of God.” How many there were in the crowd that heard him is unknown, but the two young men who were there following John were sufficiently intrigued by what they heard to leave John and follow Jesus home and spend the day with Him. By the end of that day they had seen and heard enough to be convinced that their search for the Messiah was over. They had indeed found the Messiah they had been waiting and longing for. We know this because one of the two, Andrew found his brother, Simon, and reported to him, “We have found the Messiah,” and brought him to Jesus. (John 1:41) Some suggest that by the implication of the wording of this passage the unnamed other man likewise found his “own brother” and brought him to Jesus too. The typically unnamed Apostles throughout the Gospel of John are John himself, and his brother James.

We may never know, in this life, the stories of all the others that met Jesus that day, but we do know that from these two young men the numbers of those following Jesus immediately began to multiply as they right away brought others to meet Him. Andrew found Simon, and John found James. The next day when Jesus called Phillip to follow Him, Phillip immediately found Nathanael. These men brought many more to Jesus we don’t know about. But from this small mustard seed, the Kingdom of God began to grow, first two, then four, then six, then twelve. The numbers grew until there were many disciples who followed Jesus. (Mark 4:30-32; 12:15)


Thousands gathered on hillsides or the seaside to hear Him teach. (Matthew 8:1; 19:2) At one time the press of people was so great Jesus had to get into a boat and shove away from the shore in order to teach them. (Luke 5:3) We know He fed five thousand who had come out to hear Him on one occasion; and on another, four thousand. Luke reports that on one occasion Jesus appointed seventy-two of His disciples to go out into the towns and villages where He was about to go. (Luke 10:1-17) Jesus appointed twelve of His disciples and designated them as Apostles. (Mark 3:13-15) After Jesus’ resurrection and ascension a hundred and twenty gathered in Jerusalem to elect Matthias to replace Judas as one of the Twelve Apostles. (Acts 1:15-26) There were large numbers of disciples (Luke 6:17), but just how many of the large crowds that thronged about Jesus day after day actually became disciples is unknown.
Large crowds would follow Jesus so He would turn to them and tell them what was required of any who followed Him. (Luke 14:25-35) Jesus was not impressed by the large numbers of people who turned out to see and hear Him. (John 2:23-25) At times Jesus would challenge them to consider their misguided motives for following Him. (John 6:26-27) Others Jesus would invite to follow Him and they would turn away sadly when they heard the terms. (Matthew 8:18; 19:22) In spite of His words many followed Him anyway but Jesus knew their hearts were not in it. At one time or another and for one reason or another many who followed Him would turn back and cease following Him when they were offended by something they heard Him say. (John 6:66) Large crowds alone were not then, nor are they now, accurate indicators of how many are disciples who are truly following Jesus.

Today, in the twenty-first century, we who claim to be followers of Jesus are not unlike those who followed Him then. Jesus turns to us who are in this crowd and reminds us that He is the same, and His requirements of discipleship are the same. Nothing has changed or will change. How many of us in this large crowd that seem to be following Jesus and thronging about Him today are His disciples and truly following Him? Who of us will stay true to Him through the tough times ahead? Jesus knows. What’s more, if we are His disciples His Holy Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. (Romans 8:16)

1 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Blog ws very personal to me.
AM I a follower or not?
I find comfort, hopefully I'm not deceiving myself, that when I cannot find Jesus, that I am at least talking to Him and asking
"Where are You?
Don't you love me any more?"

But recently I think the Holy Spirit answered and told me...
that is like when dating and we would tell our "steady" that IF they loved us they would do thus and such.

So wonder if that is what I've actually been saying to God when He doesn't do MY will?

I repent and ask forgivness, in the name of Jesus. And amen.
Or
is it ask forgivness and repent?
I never can get that straight.

Anyway...May sound strange.
May sound like I live in deception.
But I do always look for jesus when I can't feel Him or the Holy Spirit in my life.
And I search diligently for Him.
I clean out all the cobwebs in my soul and sit still and listen for His still small voice.
(it's when I say
"I'm doing things in the Potter's
Shed."

But I never give up that He is here and waiting for me, and that it's ME who has followed a path away from Him. Not the other way around.
I'm telling way too much.
But your wonderful lesson has ignited these responses.

Am I or am I not HIS disciple? Apostle even?
I HAVE been with Him and SEEN Him

I have tried in the past to say that I will take all to do with Jesus, and box it up and not "believe" anymore.
And my spirit screams, "NO! I can't breathe if you do that."
So sometimes I wonder ...
and other times I know.
But I never can say NO...So I am His and He is Mine till death takes me...then I am really HIS.
I don't tell those who don't know Him about this.
They need a fair break at finding Him without MY obstacles.
Sometimes I feel like Luther in the movie that some of us saw together.
I counsel myself and scream at satan to leave me alone and that
I AM A FOLLOWER!
I may need a padded room. But I don't think so.
And if you don't tell...maybe I'm safe. ():o]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home